HMD Global, the home of Nokia phones, has announced that both Nokia 6.1 Plus and Nokia 6.1 users are getting the upgraded Android™ 9 Pie.
Packed with Google’s newest software and building on the features of Android™ 8.0 Oreo™, Android™ 9 Pie features artificial intelligence and machine learning to give owners a more customized and tailored experience.
The Nokia 6.1 Plus and Nokia 6.1, reinforced with Android™ One, are the most-recent Nokia smartphones in the last month to receive Android™ 9 Pie after the Nokia 7 Plus. The Nokia 6.1 Plus and Nokia 6.1 upgrade is part of HMD Global’s promise to continue to deliver a pure, secure and up-to-date Android™ experience. The latest upgrades come with a clean, fast UI delivering the latest innovation from Google. Furthermore, each Android™ One Nokia smartphone will receive monthly security updates for a period of three years and OS updates for two years.
Per Ekman, Vice President, Asia Pacific, HMD Global, said: “We are excited to announce the upgrade of the Nokia 6.1 Plus and Nokia 6.1 to Android™ 9 Pie, in addition to the Nokia 7 Plus which received the upgrade in October. Nokia smartphones are future-proof, as seen in our commitment to providing our fans with new OS updates and pure, secure and up-to-date Android™. With Android™ 9 Pie, we are also proud to deliver an experience where our fans get the most out of their Android™ phones.”
Shannon Mead, Country Manager, Philippines, HMD Global, said: “At HMD Global, we focus on mobile innovation that is reliable. This comes with the goal of creating phones as long-term companions that have positive impact on our customers’ way of living. For the Filipino Nokia fans, we will continue to offer the best-in-class Android™ experience, ultimate design and craftsmanship across all price points.”
Nokia 6.1 Plus
The Nokia 6.1 Plus has enjoyed unprecedented success since its launch, selling out at record speed and receiving huge praise for its all-screen design with a full HD+ 19:9 screen ratio, which allows an impressive immersive content experience. Now, with the added Android™ 9 Pie update, fans can try out a whole new set of features, including App Actions, an exclusive feature on Android™ One devices and Google Pixel phones.
Powered by a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 636 processor, the Nokia 6.1 Plus is faster than ever. Its impressive 3060mAh battery is given an added boost with the introduction of Adaptive Battery, which uses deep learning to understand usage patterns and prioritizes battery power on the most-important apps.
Nokia smartphones that have received the Android™ 9 Pie update are also among the first non-Pixel devices to receive a taste of the Digital Wellbeing Beta Preview, which is now available for testing via Google Play for devices running on Android™ 9 Pie.
The new Digital Wellbeing features will help encourage breaks from screen time. New functionalities include highlighting the device time on the phone’s dashboard, setting time limits for app usage, and Wind Down Mode, which fades the phone to grayscale and activates Do Not Disturb at a predetermined time in the evening.
Powered by a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 630 Mobile Platform, the Nokia 6.1 is more than 60 percent faster than its predecessor. The Nokia 6.1 is also equipped with enhanced Dual-Sight, ZEISS optics, USB-C fast-charging, Nokia spatial audio, and pure, secure and up-to-date Android™.
Selected to join Google’s Android™ One family, Nokia 6.1 users can get exclusive access to App Actions, a feature available only to Android™ One and Google Pixel devices. App Actions helps users get things done faster by predicting their next move and displaying the right action right away.
Just like the Nokia 6.1 Plus, the Nokia 6.1’s already impressive battery life is further complemented by the Adaptive Battery on Android™ 9 Pie.
Key Features of Android™ 9 Pie:
- App Actions – Helps you get things done faster by predicting your next move and displaying the right action on your phone
- Slices – Identifies relevant information from your favorite apps to make them more easily accessible when you need them
- Adaptive Battery – Uses deep learning to understand usage patterns and prioritizes battery power on important apps
- Adaptive Brightness – Automatically adapts the phone’s brightness by learning from your interactions with different settings
- New system Navigation – Features a single home button that provides intelligent predictions and suggestions (user-enabled)
Key Features of Digital Wellbeing:
- Dashboard – Highlights screen time and phone usage, including how many times the device has been unlocked and the number of notifications received
- App Timers – Sets time limits on app usage
- Wind Down and Do Not Disturb – Sets a daily schedule to get your phone ready for bed. Your screen fades to grayscale, while Do Not Disturb silences notifications for a restful sleep. You can activate Do Not Disturb anytime you want to disconnect.
Join the Digital Wellbeing beta labs roll out by visiting the Nokia beta labs and registering for the update.